> Sure there is. Lua's power is on par with other functional programming
> languages. It just sometimes requires a slightly more roundabout way.

It ain't Scheme/LISP but the capability is there.

-- Code snipped --

Thanks for the code, it works like a charm. I will study it closer. I
noticed that the function you gave generated a stack overflow at a mere
value of 144 , on my system. While the clunky code I wrote worked up to,
and above a value that generated infinity. The overhead seems pretty
steep especially as I am planning to make the memoization work under
memory constraints, using hashing and domain independent replacement
schemes. Thanks again for the code example.

MvH Dan Andersson