In general, the Perl CookBook is pretty cool. The idea for Lua would
have good merit, although I believe the contents would end up being
different. Because Lua is not so much used for "system scripting"
(as John Belmonte just called it) the chapters would end up being
something more along the lines of "Example of inheritance" rather
than "How to find all files in a directory."

For those interested here are some of the topics in Perl Cookbook:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook/toc.html

1. Strings
1.1 Accessing Substrings
1.3 Exchanging Values Without Using Temporary Variables
1.4 Converting Between ASCII Character and Values
1.4 Processing a String One Character at a Time
1.6 Reversing a String by Word or Character
1.7 Expanding and Compressing Tabs
1.9 Expanding Variables in User Input
1.9 Controlling Case
1.10 Interpolating Functions and Expressions Within Strings
1.14 Trimming Blanks from the Ends of a STring
1.15 Parsing Comma-Separated Data
1.16 Soundex Matching
1.17 Program: fixstyle
1.18 Program: psgrep

2. Numbers
2.0 Intro
2.1 Checking Whether a String Is a Valid Number
2.2 Comparing Floating-Point Numbers
2.3 Rounding Floating-Point Numbers
2.4 Converting Between Binary and Decimal
2.5 Operating on a Series of Integers
2.7 Generating Random Numbers
2.11 Doing Trigonometry in Degrees, not Radians
2.13 Taking Logorithms
2.14 Multiplying Matrices
2.15 Using Complex Numbers
2.17 Putting Commas in Numbers
2.18 Printing Correct Plurals
2.19 Program: Calculating Prime Factors

3. Dates and Times
3.0 Intro
3.1 Finding Today's Date
3.2 Converting DMYHMS to Epoch Seconds
3.3 Converting Epoch Seconds to DMYHMS
3.4 Adding to or Subtracting from a Date
3.5 Difference of Two Dates
3.6 Day in a Week/Month/Year or Week Number
3.7 Parsing Dates and Times from Strings
3.8 Printing a Date
3.9 High-Resolution Timers
3.10 Short Sleeps
3.11 Program: hopdelta

4. Arrays
4.0 Intro
4.1 Specifying a List in Your Program
4.2 PRinting a List with Commas
4.3 Changing Array Size
4.4 Doing Something with every Element in a list
4.5 Iterating Over and Array by Reference
4.6 Extracting Unique Elements from a List
4.7 Finding Elements in One Array but Not Another
4.8 Computing Union, Intersection, or Difference of Unique Lists
4.9 Appending One Array to Another
4.10 Reversing an Array

5. Hashes
6. Pattern Matching
7. File Access
8. File Contents
9. Directories
10. Subroutines
11. References and Records
12. Packages, Libraries, and Modules
13. Classes, Objects, and Ties
14. Database Access
15. User Interfaces
16. Process Management and Communication
17. Sockets
18. Internet Services
19. CGI Programming
20. Web Automation