I reproduce below a posting from comp.lang.misc.
Perhaps some of you in lua-l are interested in contributing Lua implementations?
I'm not familiar with the contents of the "Perl Cookbook" and so cannot say
offhand whether the problems considered in it may have good Lua solutions,
but perhaps it's worth trying?
--lhf

 From pixel@mandrakesoft.com Sun Aug  5 19:04:08 EDT 2001
 Article: 29389 of comp.lang.misc

 http://pleac.sf.net/

 Following the great Perl Cookbook (by Tom Christiansen & Nathan Torkington,
 published by O'Reilly) which presents a suite of common programming problems
 solved in the Perl language, this project aims to gather fans of programming,
 in order to implement the solutions in other programming languages.

 If successful, this project may become a primary resource
 - for quick, handy and free reference to solve most common programming
   problems using higher-level programming languages
 - for learning a new language from an already known one
 - for comparison on ease-of-use and power/efficiency of these languages