On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 06:26:21PM +0200, Markus Ewald wrote:
> I also don't like the idea of being subscribed (and known) to
> Yahoo's eGroups too much.  I have used some of their serives in the
> past, and they all equally turned from something useful gathering
> many users into spam-plagued "announcement"-spreaders. I can only
> support Erik's description about the EzBoards, the same has happened
> to "Yahoo!Clubs".  Therefore, *yahoo.com is entered into my spam
> list.

Yahoo does not send unsolicited bulk-mail. Their privacy policy
specifically forbids it. However, because Yahoo is such a large
target, there are groups who try and harvest addresses off services on
Yahoo, just like groups harvest addresses off of usenet. These groups
will harvest off of sourceforge as well if they want to reach that
audience. Unfortunatly, the only way to steer clear of these
harvesters is to run the mailing list yourself so that it's not a big
target.

Here is a section of Yahoo's privacy policy.

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/

   Information Sharing and Disclosure

   - Yahoo! will not sell or rent your personally identifiable
     information to anyone.
   - Yahoo! may send personally identifiable information about
     you to other companies or people when:
     - We have your consent to share the information;
     - We need to share your information to provide the
       product or service you have requested;
     - We need to send the information to companies who
       work on behalf of Yahoo! to provide a product or
       service to you. (Unless we tell you differently,
       these companies do not have any right to use the
       personally identifiable information we provide to
       them beyond what is necessary to assist us.);
     - We respond to subpoenas, court orders or legal process; or
     - We find that your actions on our web sites violate the
       Yahoo! Terms of Service, the Yahoo! GeoCities Terms
       of Service, or any of our usage guidelines
       for specific products or services.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net