I can only hope that if it's ever decided to add exceptions to lua, that
it's done in such a way that you don't have to use them if you don't want
to. So for example, if you wanted to write code that used the exception
mechanism, you could do so. But the base libraries wouldn't use it, or there
would be two versions of them, so you could decide for yourself.  While I
think exceptions are useful in certain situations, IMHO they tend to
snowball out of control, until it's impossible to write a single line of
code that doesn't have an exception handler wrapped around it. Sometimes I
want to be ignorant about errors exploding around my head like firecrackers.

Yes, I admit it, I'm an exception handling bigot. On the other hand, one of
the things I love about lua is it's design policy. Which is why I tend to
think that, if exceptions were ever added, it would be better to add the
primitives required to implement it yourself, just like is currently done
with OOP things in lua.