 > I don't know much about the process, though.
 > I think it needs to be conducted by an impartial party (ie., not the Lua team).

Not so.  You can prepare a charter yourself, and there's a team of
volunteers who will help you.  (I can't remember what they're called
any more --- guides?)  Anyway, it's not too hard to go through if you
have the numbers.  The comp.lang.awk people did this fairly recently,
I believe; you might look at their charter.