[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: Re: Lua for GUI toolkit wrapping?
- From: Mauro Iazzi <mauro.iazzi@...>
- Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 00:48:45 +0200
2009/9/23 Patrick <email@example.com>:
>> probably you are saying about different things - Qt itself and Qt/Lua
> Absolutely. I am not criticizing QT or any other toolkit, I am just
> wondering if I am going in the wrong direction. I would like to use Lua
> with GTK in particular but I am second guessing myself because there
> seems like quite a small community around it. I can't understand why?
> Why would anyone want to code a GUI in C/C++ if they had something like Lua?
- they know C/C++ and not Lua
- the native language of the toolkit is C/C++ so the API may fit better
- the bindings are usually supported by a third party, so there are
likely more bugs, moreover, they come after the toolkit becomes
widespread and are usually less mature
- it adds dependencies to the application
- since less people uses it there are less docs/tutorials/examples around
- they may simply like C/C++ more than Lua :)
that said, I'd like to shamelessly plug my Qt binding for Lua. It
suffers all of the above, in particular "not mature", but is slowly