>> Well written software does not need much documentation [...]
> What is "well written" software?

Fair point.

But I would actually say that what level of documentation is needed
depends far more on what the software is supposed to do than on whether
it's well-written or not.  A compiler needs far more documentation than
an RPG videogame, even if they take the same amount of code (by
whatever metric you want to use).

> For the most part, only programmers care about "well written"
> programs, [...]

Depending on what you mean.  I care about well-written code even if I'm
interacting with it as a user rather than as a programmer.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@rodents-montreal.org