> By the way: on my journey to understanding the heritage and the "why"
> for design decisions I am now wondering why does Lua not went the
> path of allowing only single quotation mark for string literal
> definitions and not went the Python way of defining multi-line
> strings [...]

Well, I don't know; I'm not the one who made that decision.  But...

> With this approach (the single quotation is quite narrow and not
> obtrusive)

I suspect this is relevant to only a tiny, _tiny_ fraction of Lua
users.  I think you're the only person I've ever even heard of who
actually prefers a non-monospaced font for writing code - not that I've
done a survey of the field, or anything, but still.

But that actually strikes me as a reason to _not_ use it.  Something as
semantically important as a comment, or even string, delimiter is not
something I, at least, want to be visually subtle.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse@rodents-montreal.org