Thank you Mouse for your response and a suggestion of making possible narrow alternatives to `=`available in Lua.

By the way, out of the proposed ones I would personally prefer ":" because of resemblance with musical notation where  [:[  ]:]  looks a bit like 𝄆  𝄇 and gives a well known pattern for delimiting a block of notation.

What comes to my mind about the by you mentioned issue with proportional and also monospaced fonts is that you are right ... most don't care about clear difference between ambiguous letters. As this problem can in aviation lead to severe issues, there is a font which tries to provide a solution:

B612 font test text