Thanks for all your replies.

I am well aware of the fact that the proposal of a kpairs(0 has some limitations and pitfalls.

Thus for example a key "3" entered in the table as that string belongs to the hash part of the table and should therefore appears in a native kpairs() traversal. That obviates the problem with tonumber(key) in my post. (hmmm, better perhaps testing type(key) instead of tonumber).

Holes in the array part I do not see as a problem. Everything in the array part (in a sequence or not) should in my proposal be left out of a kpairs(0 traversal.

Limiting kpairs() to the keys in the hash storage of the table exclusively and excluding everything in the array part, does seem a usable definition in my view.

yours sincerely
dr. Hans van der Meer