Hi David!

On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 5:19 PM David Sicilia <dpsicilia@gmail.com> wrote:

> Despite its prevalent use in games, I feel in a sense that Lua hasn't ever escaped its
> academic roots.

Honestly, I don't think so. Without knowing the story it is not even
immediately easy to guess it is related to University people!

It more looks like the language was created intentionally to be small
both for user and system. Which allowed creation of
LuaJIT and which, in turn, opened more doors for the language.

Particularly I learnt of the language from the colleague involved in
Tarantool project https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantool
So it obviously makes its steps into large enterprise world, not only
used as system/embedded, but as you said, things
are due to "luck and happenstance" (great word!) - so I feel there is
some opportunity to try shifting the situation :)

Thanks a lot for your input!