On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 6:18 AM Petite Abeille <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:

Taking DigitalOcean [01] as an example — a humble VM with the OS of your choice is $4 per month (512MB RAM/1 vCPU/10 GB SSD/500 GB transfer).

Rounding that up to $10 per month over 7 years give us a sticker price of $840 — at current price.

Say $1K for the next 10 years — all things being equal (PPP & All).

Assuming the lua-l community could raise such a small amount of $ today

It's kind of a hassle to deal with such collections.  For example, we used to have a community lottery to cover domain name fees, but I don't want to bother with the process and have been paying it myself since 2017.  So hosting is not the only operation cost, and fees tend to go up yearly, so I don't think we can assume "$10/mo for 7 years".  I'm looking for free hosting, where some other entity takes the liability for cost and price increases.

who would look after the "aged yet reliable software stack" and other administrative trivias?

By default that is me, but I'd appreciate if there is at least one other person that has the keys and is familiar with the system.