I personally dont like breaking paragraphs at random lengths like you do, because you assume that your line lengths is what others will see.

Browsers and mail readers use automatic line wraps, that are more accessible to every one, especially en narrow displays like phones or with increased font sizes needed by many people.

Note, if you really want to break lines, don't exceed 72 characters if using basic Latin plain text. But this still causes problèmes when quoting. Today, nobody every needs plain text only, which does not fit with modern needs for i18n and supporting more languages than English, and multilingual  contents.

We are no longer in the 1990's or before. Unicode is everywhere, and accessibility of text is needed everywhere and so often that we no longer use old basic mail agents.

Le sam. 24 juin 2023 à 09:54, Lorenzo Donati <lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> a écrit :

On 22/06/2023 00:32, Mouse wrote:
> [David Favro]
>> It's becoming increasingly hard to keep browsers from redirecting to https, $
>
> Almost as hard as it is to get people stop using paragraph-length
> lines, in fact!
>
> [Rob Kendrick]
>> lua-users.org does not as it stands do TLS (and never has): any web
>> browser, search engine, plugin that assumes it does is broken and
>> there is literaly nothing I can do about that.
>
> Thank you very much for taking that stance.  I have been growing
> increasingly despondent over the stampede to waste my CPU cycles with
> TLS (well, to try to; most often, what they actually do is just drive
> me away) and it is always very nice to find a holdout.

The problem is that today most browsers, if not all, are meant for a
very tech-unsavy audience, who do know nothing about https vs http and
the risks that are behind http (and when there are none). That's where
the market is, for good or bad.

As annoying that is for tech-savy people, fighting that is like asking
car makers to remove all airbags because they add too much weight and we
know what we are doing. It's not gonna happen.

Most people using a browser nowadays barely knows what an URL is. They
simply type search keywords on a search engine and start from there,
possibly bookmarking the one they use the most. So there is a good
chance they could click on a link for (say) "micrsoft.com" [sic] without
even realizing it's not what they think it is.

I, too, miss the times when Firefox allowed extension to do almost
anything with its interface and internal workings. I had forcefully to
switch to the newer Quantum versions because the older dev line wouldn't
support newer technology any longer (I couldn't even access my
home-banking account or my school MS-teams account). So I had to switch,
losing lots of extensions with consequent loss of useful data I saved
during over a decade. Let alone a general slowdown of my workflow due to
the GUI being more "dumbproof" and many options being removed or tucked
away under the hood.

Lesson learned: now any information I'm interested in preserving I save
it in PDF form or, if I can't do that, using a "webpage-snapshot" tool,
that saves all the webpage locally with all the resources needed to
reproduce it in a different browser.

> Another holdout, I suppose I should say.  I've met a few others.
>
> /~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>   X  Against HTML             mouse@rodents-montreal.org
> / \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Cheers!

--Lorenzo