A reworked, updated, modernised (and perhaps refactored, so it is simpler to build, especially to compile in statically), “official” version of LuaSocket would be nice.

Especially if you get rid of (or separate) all the Lua code from it - http.lua, smtp.lua and all the “high-level” stuff that almost everyone ignores anyway because it’s old and out-of-date.

Something that builds into a single shared library (no socket.lua/socket.core split) that can trivially be compiled in, and that doesn’t only support select() for watching sockets.

I’d welcome a “PUC Rio LuaSocket” core package…