On 7/3/23 08:14, Federico Ferri wrote:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2023 at 14:23, Jonathan Revusky <revusky@congocc.org> wrote:

Greetings.

I haven't posted here before. I'm the lead developer of the Congo Parser Generator project. Congo, in its origins, is actually a full rewrite of the ancient JavaCC, developed at Sun Microsystems in the 90's. So the parser that it generates is in Java. There is also the ability to generate parsers in Python and C#, but that is currently less complete/polished than the Java code generation.

Interesting! Do you have any plans for supporting C++ code generation?

Well, the short answer is... no.

Actually, there are not any immediate plans to support generation of code in any other language besides the current 3, which are Java, Python, and C#. But before contemplating any more language targets, we have to get the existing ones (particularly, the two that aren't Java!) in a more polished state. Right now, the the three languages are not really equal citizens. There are features that only work for Java code generation.

Or, in other words, we have to finish chewing and digesting what we have before we bite off anything else. Eventually, we'll add more targets, I think, but we're more likely to do _javascript_ or even Rust than C++. (Though no definitive decision has been made!) Probably, there are two scenarios in which we support C++ code generation at some point: (a) Somebody steps up and does the work. Or (b) somebody pays for it.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Jon Revusky

Cheers,