On Sun, Feb 05, 2023 at 08:07:17PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I'm new to the mailing list, and would be interested to know if anyone
> has used Lua in any sort of safety-critical system, in particular for
> regulated industries such as automotive or medical.  If anyone has any
> examples of such use in a real product that would be really
> interesting and much appreciated.

Do you know which ASIL (or similar) level you are targetting?  Typically
I would not expect dynamic memory allocation, let alone garbage
collection, in a micro in a safety-critical system.  If your delivery is
checked against MISRA rules, Lua's implementation itself obviously will
not pass.

On the other hand, if you're measuring the safety of your system as a
whole rather than a specific component out-of-context, you may have
mitigations elsewhere that mean this isn't problematic.

On the flip side, there are many classes of bugs of interest to safety
people that simply can't happen in Lua which are commonplace in C and
C++.

B.