On Wed, Nov 23, 2022, 13:51 Albert Krewinkel <albert+lua@zeitkraut.de> wrote:

"Pierre Chapuis" <lua@catwell.info> writes:

> apparently Lua is the 4th fastest growing language on GitHub in 2022

I was curious to see what's driving the growth and searched GitHub for
projects written in Lua that had code updates this year. The method is
not very scientific, but the results are fairly unambiguous nonetheless.

Method: searched for

    language:lua pushed:>2022-01-01

plus the given term, then recorded the number of repositories found for
that search. The terms are popular projects that I know use Lua as their
extension language. Note that there are some obvious double-counts and
under-counts that I didn't correct.

| Term                | Repositories |
|---------------------+--------------|
| nvim                | 8,807        |
| awesomewm           | 403          |
| hammerspoon         | 364          |
| löve                | 354          |
| openresty           | 147          |
| nginx NOT openresty | 90           |
| pandoc              | 85           |
| nmap                | 70           |
| quarto NOT pandoc   | 62           |
| xmake               | 42           |
| torch               | 18           |
| firmware            | 17           |

--
Albert Krewinkel
GPG: 8eed e3e2 e8c5 6f18 81fe  e836 388d c0b2 1f63 1124

Neovim is definitely the driver behind this growth.
It has adopted Lua as a first class language and the number of plugins written in it has been growing ever since. But that's not just it, the number of dotfiles written in Lua as well (: