John Belmonte <john@neggie.net>:

> I noticed a possible issue of the __close metamethod:  nil is a valid value for raising errors, but __close cannot distinguish between nil error and no error.

Would you mind to show here 2 or 3 small and typical Lua "Code
snippets", where I could recognize, when __close is invoked "normally"
or "by error event"?

... this different invocation somehow sounds interesting to me, but I
do not really feel sure what this means "in real Lua life".

(in reference manual there is no example code. And as unfortunately
__close I think is NOT handled in the "Programming in Lua" book by
Roberto (I do not find any reference to "__close" there), otherwise
usually PiL is a great source to find helpful code examples...).