Your description is a bit long, I did not read it in any detail.

But if I understand you, I had the same problem when I did my StrLib
"static string" library for low-RAM Lua applications in IoT range... .
There I finally also wanted to be able to compare my "sb-items" (made
by meta) to normal strings with ==.

Please check my posts concerning this some months ago.

It is a quite small change in a lua source file, that you have to do,
I have described it there in detail.