Many Lua applications are quite short (at least the one we use for our applications).

In this case "debugging" using the print command works quite nice. (this is similar to programming Arduino, I also come from this "electronics corner", there you also have no REAL debugger, but only serial.print....).

... but for larger applications such print debugging of course might get tedious - this is clear... .