While not an official source, it might be worth mentioning that lpeg
is also available at LuaRocks, which itself uses a set of mirrors
including GitHub:

https://luarocks.org/modules/gvvaughan/lpeg/1.0.2-1

A .src.rock file is a .zip containing the original sources plus
metadata; if you don't want to unpack it by hand, you can do it with
the luarocks CLI using `luarocks unpack lpeg`.

-- Hisham