CMake is certainly an interesting suggestion, which I hadn't thought about!

However, I have to wonder... If we're reaching for a tool specifically to build Lua extension modules, shouldn't this be an ideal job for Luarocks?

I just don't know if there is a way to invoke it without the cerimony of creating a rockspec. Which by the way, is a question I also have about CMake. Is there a way to compile something without a CMakeLists file?

-- Hugo