Hi list,

Does anyone know if there is some tool that I can use to compile a ".c" Lua module to a dynamic library (".so" or ".dll), with all the appropriate compilation flags for the operating system?

My motivation is that I would like to make the Pallene compiler[1] more portable. Pallene uses C as a compilation target and then compiles those C modules into dynamic libraries that can be "required" from Lua. Currently we have some Linux-specific code for invoking the C compiler to build the final ".so". I would love to replace it with an external tool that also knows how to build shared libraries on other operating systems.

I know that Luarocks knows how to compile C extension modules for Lua, adding the appropriate compilation flags depending on the operating system and on where the Lua header files are found. However, is there a way to use this functionality without creating a rockspec? I only want to compile the ".c" to an ".so". I don't want to at the same time install the ".so" as a Luarocks package.

-- Hugo

[1] https://github.com/pallene-lang/pallene