> and if this number goes over 1000, then I will shut down Lua with an "possible endless Lua loop warning" for the user.

Just to make it clear: My code was meant as an example how to continuously read the number of steps without considerably interrupting Lua, e.g. for statistics.

For a reaction like "shut down Lua", you need several additional considerations - some months ago I started a thread on how to stop one Lua state while leaving the rest of the program alive - depending on the exact situation, this is not "that easy" (but possible).
If you already know that there will be a limit of 1000 steps (which appears low to me, but I don't know your exact use case),  just use this value when setting the hook
lua_sethook(L, count_hook, LUA_MASKCOUNT, 1000);
And if you want to stop, set another hook inside your hook function, e.g.,
lua_sethook(L, stop_hook, LUA_MASKCALL | LUA_MASKRET | LUA_MASKCOUNT, 1);
With a stop hook like this, if you want to stop one coroutine.
void  stop_hook(lua_State *L, lua_Debug *ar) {
  lua_sethook(L, stop_hook, LUA_MASKCALL | LUA_MASKRET | LUA_MASKCOUNT, 1);
   lua_pushlightuserdata(L, &stop_hook);
   return lua_error(L);
}
But for the details on how to stop either a coroutine or an entire Lua state, please read the other thread before. Everything I explained before in this thread was about measuring Lua steps, not about stopping coroutines or states.