Meanwhile I found some code snippet that uses a tiny extension to ldebug.c:

LUA_API int lua_getcurrenthookcount(lua_State *L) {return L->hookcount;}

This code is the only change to the Lua core, the remaining code is using the official API:

lua_sethook(L, count_hook, LUA_MASKCOUNT, 1000000000);

void count_hook(lua_State *L, lua_Debug *ar) {
void *ud;
lua_getallocf(L, &ud); // get the UD pointer from lua_newstate
struct tUserData * UD = (struct tUserData *)ud; // your userdata structure
UD->billion_steps++; // should have some field for the counter overflow
lua_sethook(L, count_hook, LUA_MASKCOUNT, 1000000000); // register handler again
}

uint64_t getcount(lua_State *L) {
unsigned long l = lua_getcurrenthookcount(L); // missing for the next billion
return (uint64_t)UD->billion_steps * 1000000000 + 1000000000 - l; // total
}

I don't know if this is accessible without any changes to the Lua core, but this change is minimal.