 >> Our thinking in this change is that probably very few people are
 >> already using to-be-closed variables in the C API, so this change
 >> would affect very few people.

 Hisham> luafilesystem is a C library that uses to-be-closed variables.
 Hisham> Is this affected by this change?

It looks like the incompatible part of the change (lua_pop / lua_settop
not closing vars) has been reverted so it's probably not an issue now.

C libraries that return objects with close methods weren't affected
anyway. The code that was affected was C code that uses the C API
equivalent of <close> variables (i.e. marking stack slots with
lua_toclose). For example, if you want to emulate a lua 5.4 for...in
loop in C code, you need to mark the stack slot used for the fourth
return value from the iterator.

--
Andrew.