On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 at 19:28, Hisham <h@hisham.hm> wrote:
On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 10:23, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
Our thinking in this change is that probably very few people are already
using to-be-closed variables in the C API, so this change would affect
very few people.

luafilesystem is a C library that uses to-be-closed variables. Is this affected by this change?

To clarify, the iterator returned by lfs.dir via the C API now returns the fourth argument to ensure the directory iterator is closed if the for-loop breaks. I suspect this is not the same case, but I'd like to check just to be on the safe side.

> No strong reason. We usually do not export names not prefixed with
> 'lua_' (or some variant). Of course we could rename these macros.

If you did that and exported new public lua_* macros for use by C extension libraries, that would be an API change in a patch release, right? It would make code written using it to be source-API-incompatible with previous Lua 5.4 releases... (please don't!)

-- Hisham