On windows I have to quote both argument and the whole command

"lua "folder one/file.lua""
On 7 Feb 2021, 15:00 +0300, v <v19930312@gmail.com>, wrote:
For your case it would be

io.popen('otfinfo -p "/path/to/file name/ with spaces.otf"', 'r')

Escape it like you would in usual shell, that's the general rule.

The deeper problem here is that you can't reliably escape user input
(well, you theoretically can, but good luck with that), and all ways
Lua allows to call a command require you to escape inputs (due to
portability requirements, it's the only way ANSI C provides). You also
can only have one I/O stream (stdin/stdout/stderr) open per child
process, but not more. You probably want to take a look at lua-
subprocess or luaposix libraries that allow to bypass both of those
limitations.