On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 11:40 PM Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Timm S. Mueller once stated:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:21:46 +0100
> Petite Abeille <petite.abeille@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Jan 16, 2021, at 03:32, Timm S. Mueller <tmueller@schulze-mueller.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Lua always did about everything right, at least for me.
> >
> > Except the module debacle :P
>
> I'm not always following the mailing list closely. What was "the"
> module debacle?

  I think it was the difference in how modules were written between Lua 5.1
and 5.2.  It was quite a change and I think it's what lead to the split
between Lua and LuaJIT.

It wasn't, LuaJIT supports the new style of module and most of the rest of 5.2

The split was due to _ENV, rather than get/setfenv.  This would have necessitated changes to LuaJIT's ABI,
which Mike Pall was unwilling to do, for what I believe were contractual reasons.

cheers,
-Sam.