I am aware of that sections of the test's documentation, but I still think it is valuable to know, if someone else is also seeing the same error. Especially as there is no information of the used platform, compiler, compiler versions, architecture etc. the releases are verified against. Maybe a readme including that information in the test suite would be good.

However, the specific reason I asked is, that I never had issues running the full tests suite (even using testC) in bash on Linux (except for an encoding error in files.lua, but there I actively made an undesired change).

Von: Roberto Ierusalimschy
Gesendet: Montag, 30. November 2020 14:20
An: Lua mailing list
Betreff: Re: main.lua test failing for 5.4.2-rc1

> I can reproduce on Ubuntu 20.04:
>
> gcc -v: gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04)
>
> josh@joshuas3 at ~/Downloads/lua-5.4.2 $ src/lua lua-5.4.2-tests/main.lua
> testing stand-alone interpreter
> progname: src/lua
> Lua 5.4.2  Copyright (C) 1994-2020 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
> (temporary program file used in these tests: /tmp/lua_eoFfk5)
> testing warnings
> src/lua: lua-5.4.2-tests/main.lua:310: assertion failed!
> stack traceback:
>        [C]: in function 'assert'
>        lua-5.4.2-tests/main.lua:310: in main chunk
>        [C]: in ?

See the note in the test page [1]:

  The test suite is not a product; it is just a tool for our internal
  use. It is available here by popular demand but we cannot give any
  kind of support for it. You're on your own.

Moreover, main.lua is not part of the basic tests. For the complete
tests, there is an extra warning:

    The complete test suite (that is, without the _U option) tries
    to test every corner of the language, its libraries, and the C
    API, even corners that are system dependent. Unlike Lua itself,
    these tests do not aim at portability, small footprint, or easy of
    use. Their main goal is to try to crash Lua. They are not intended
    for general use. You are welcome to use them, but expect to get your
    hands dirty.

In particular, I happen to use this same system, gcc version 9.3.0
(Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04), and I cannot reproduce the issue.
If you can pinpoint anything more specific, please let us know.

[1] https://www.lua.org/tests/

-- Roberto