On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 7:45 AM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:
Em qua., 11 de nov. de 2020 às 10:22, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> escreveu:
> > I don't mean to be harsh and we do welcome suggestions and
> > corrections, but do you really think we write useless code?
> >
> Am I bothering you?

I think it is a problem of tone. When you see some code that you
don't understand, you assume it is wrong and immediately suggest a
"correction". Instead, you should assume that there are things you may
not understand, and ask why that code is the way it is.
Ok, of course I can.
I really don't know anything about Lua.
But when I make a suggestion, it doesn't mean that I'm "stating" that it should be accepted.
But that I am accelerating a little, proposing a solution, even if wrong, that should be promptly rejected.
The problem is that most of the time, it takes forever, even when the solution is good and correct.
Contributing is necessary to find time, rare and scarce time.

Ranier Vilela

I think there's a bit of a language barrier to note here.

Ranier, I believe you have good intentions, and I can see that's how you were trying to approach it. Unfortunately, the way your phrasing comes across in English isn't being received with the tone you intended. Roberto's suggestion is that you would be taken with a better attitude if you asked the question "Why is it this way?" instead of saying "I think it should be different." You aren't wrong about time being scarce: the Lua developers' time is also scarce. So when they have to read through the mailing list, it can help to take a moment of your own time to make sure your messages will be read in the right way.

For example, in this thread, you could have said something like "I see that loadProtos initializes the array before entering the loop, but it looks like it gets overwritten right away. Why is the code written this way? Could it be optimized?" That would have seemed like a more positive approach.

/s/ Adam