From: Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 6, 2020 3:54 PM
To: Lua mailing list <lua-l@lists.lua.org>
Subject: Re: I need some help on some ideas

Em ter., 6 de out. de 2020 às 12:01, 逸霖 杨 <yyl_20050115@hotmail.com> escreveu:
Yes, by "reference counting" is really whatever I've in mind.

And if it's OK for others, I'm quite happy to make contributions to Lua 5.4 directly.

Since GC is already widely used and accepted, I just don't think I have the right to force others to get rid of the way of thinking in GC.

So whatever I do now is: provide a switch for users to use GC or disable it (then use reference counting, and default is GC enabled).
Would it be good, show how reference counting can improve the actual garbage collector?
I'm not an expert in GC and this is a harder arena.

I need help to get a better understanding on where to apply reference counting (where to increase reference count and where to decrease reference count).
Your idea is applicable to add reference counting for the userdata objects?

regards,
Ranier Vilela