On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 1:01 PM Tom Becker <tom_becker@bd.com> wrote:

> Teaching people how to program is hard. People's minds work in different ways. Some people are better with abstractions, others are better with concrete examples. People also have different life experiences, talents, and interests. There is no one right way, but rather a need for many ways to enable people to learn. Realistically, we should not expect the creators of a language to also do all the work of teaching it in all possible ways. Lua at least has good documentation explaining its principles of operation. Many languages lack that. It makes the job easier for anyone who wants to create Lua learning materials for new programmers.

The problem is that no one has done that since Lua v. 5.1. Lots of
starts, no finishes. The result: Lua is a programming language for
experienced programmers, not for those who wish to learn to program
using Lua, especially those users whose apps have embedded Lua.

I see it all the time on the NoteCase Pro outliner mailing list.
Despite having an API with 393 functions, 36 event triggers, massive
extensibility, etc., we have only about a half-dozen or so visible
users who script the program with our embedded Lua.

There's a big unmet need here.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]