On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 12:24 AM Roberto Ierusalimschy
<roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

> Note that, in all cases, the given parameter is not intended to be a
> pathname, because it does not contain a slash.

I am not sure what that was supposed to demonstrate. Yes, it is not a
pathname, which makes this subject to an implementation-defined limit,
and all of Lua, Perl and Python let their users exceed the limit and
crash the process.

Since this is currently not listed as a bug in Lua, this is apparently
believed to be correct behavior. Why then was it a completely
different story with io.popen?

Cheers,
V.