The dot would not work well for _expression_ keys that are numbers or start by numbers !
See: t = {.1 = 1, ..2 = .2, .-3 = -3, .1+x = 1+x}; and consider how the lexer could need to parse ".1" as "." then "1", where the lexer cannot convert ".1" into a number constant (same as 0.1)
Trying to use a dot instead of [] would not help the parser, it would complicate it more, we would have to force a space after the dot.
See: t = {. 1 = 1, . .2 = .2, . -3 = -3, . 1+x = 1+x};

In reality when the syntax was developed, there was the need to allow optional keys, so members could be any _expression_ as a value, including an _expression_ being only a single identifier for a variable name (so there's a "reduce" case here for the parser, which can only be followed by a comma or a closing brace or any other operator valid in an _expression_. But with the optional key present, the single identifier (before the "=" sign) could be also a key so there's a "shift" case for the parser. The shift-reduce conflict is resolved here by forcing a "shift", but if we use the lookahead of one token, the shift-reduce conflict after an identifier is resolved: if the identifier followed is followed by a single equal sign (which is illegal in expressions) then this is a shift, so this indicates the presence of a key: so {x=1} is allowed.

The [] around keys does not help at all the parser.

But then if the parser admits a single identifier as a key, it could as well admit admit a number as a key, including a number with a leading sign.

It could as well accept any _expression_ as a key, reporting to later the decision to the presence or absence of the equal sign: the _expression_ can be only followed by:
- a comma (separating members of the table constructor, in which case the _expression_ is unambiguously a value without any key), or
- a closing brace (terminating the table contructor, in which case the _expression_ is unambiguously a value without any key), or
- an equal sign (in which case the _expression_ is unambiguously a key and the parser can shift the equal sign to parse the second _expression_ that should follow)

Lua authors made a strange choice: adding [] that was not needed at all, but then accepting that [] was not necessary for literal string keys, rewritten as identifiers instead of a literal string.