> Am 10.05.2020 um 13:07 schrieb Lorenzo Donati <lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it>:
>
> On 08/05/2020 10:20, Marc Balmer wrote:
>> Many of the Lua modules we wrote from scratch or adapted from
>> existing software are published as open source software on
>> https://github.com/arcapos/ <https://github.com/arcapos/>.  They are
>> all maintained and in wide use in our commercial products (mostly
>> point of sale and online systems).  They lacked, however,
>> documentation in most cases.
>>
>> fwiw, I have put the documentation of these modules online at
>> https://lua.msys.ch/ <https://lua.msys.ch/>, our microsite for Lua
>> related stuff.  Also on this site you will find a work in progress,
>> the "Lua Integration Guide", where we try to collect and share our
>> experiences while integrating Lua in existing software, write Lua
>> bindings to existing libraries etc.  We put it online in the hope it
>> is helpful for some folks.  It's really work in progress, so check
>> for updates from time to time (the timestamp of the last update is in
>> the footer of the guide).
>>
>> - mb

> I just noticed you define some convenience fucntions like `lua_vpncall`.
>
> Just a remark, isn't that a bit risky to reuse the "lua_" prefix for such a function?
>
> A casual/new reader of the code could think it is a standard distro function, causing some headache when debugging/understanding the code.
>
> Moreover, if Lua authors decide in the future to add a function named like that you would have a name clash.
>
> Wouldn't it be more sensible to choose a name in a different "namespace"? E.g. `MyLua_vpncall` (dummy choice, but you get the point).

Well, the first sentence reads "The following functions are not part of Lua itself.".  That should make it clear.

As for the namespace question, if such a function would appear in Lua itself, we can still rename it.  For us, the lua prefix makes sense, because then the software maintainers on our side know that are doing something with Lua.

- mb