> On Feb 1, 2020, at 06:05, Lorenzo Donati <lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> wrote:
>
> I pointed out that some years ago Python knowledge was on par with Lua's, whereas Lua is not even on the radar now.
>
> (BTW, Hype /is/ a relevant market force, big companies have gone broke for lack of good marketing at the right time).
>
> And this is something Lua community and Lua team should be aware of, IMO.

In the short term, hype comes and goes, and which language gets thrown up the charts has a lot to do with what was popular before it and what people are rebelling against.

I share the same desire to see more people to Lua and agree that an organized library of tested code would be helpful.

IMHO, Lua is the cleanest, simplest scripting language around.  Why do you think it is the case that after... 30+ years of Lua and massively successful projects depending on its very unique power, it ranks so low in the popularity list? Does the list properly represent people that use it in commercial environments? Does it capture people that are using Lua in roblox or in other games? (WoW, Factorio, BeamNG Drive, ...) Does it capture embedded devices that quietly use Lua but only say so buried in their open source statement?

That is: is Lua not popular and does it need saving?

The benefit of a standard library, independent/separated from Lua and it’s development, is clear to me. It’s an idea that has been had before, but why is it so hard to make it happen?