On Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 23:07, Captain Zidgel wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Xavante and WSAPI? I'm a complete noob in web dev and I've been looking for something like Ruby's Sinatra in Lua. There exists such a project on Github called Mercury (nrk/mercury), but it's been abandoned for almost a decade.
I tried to fix it up and see if I could get it working (I have no reason to believe it was nonworking at last commit) but after fixing some module environments to work in 5.1 I found only Xavante errors.
/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/wsapi/common.lua:135: not a valid WSAPI application

It will work if you use the appropriate versions of its dependencies. To use newer versions you need to update the code a little bit, since the APIs of the Kepler deps have changed.

If you just want to run Mercury, try this: https://gist.github.com/catwell/16abeda365cfc6dc8d5c461b25fd98b2

Do any full sites even exist in Xavante/WSAPI in 2020? What ever happened to the Kepler project?
I recognize I've basically puked 30 million questions up here but my real one question is this:
Is there any detailed guide to using Xavante+WSAPI to create a Lua web app?

I have no idea if people are still using Xavante in production. If you intend to make a serious Web app with Lua today, I would advise you to look at Lapis which is probably the best maintained framework. If you want more lightweight solutions still within the OpenResty ecosystem, check out https://github.com/sumory/lor https://github.com/akornatskyy/lucid or https://framagit.org/fperrad/lua-Rotas. Or just use CGI.

I would say Xavante is still fine if you want a pure Lua server, for instance on an embedded device, but I wouldn't use it for a classical Web application.