> [...]
> >>
> >> The dogs bark, the caravan marches on.
>
> >Very nice. But I didn't get the C++ statement being parenthesized.
>
> Because that is a joke. Of course nobody ever really thought that about C++.

Quite right. Unlike other languages mentioned in this discussion,
the ones I put in my list were all actually heralded as the one to
rule them all, either from the start (PL/I and Ada) or from pundits.

Still today, there are several Java programmers who are mostly unaware
about the mere existence of other languages, and I personally know
several people that a few years ago swore that the real world was
confined to JavaScript.

C++, despite its sucess, never was in this position, at least that I
am aware of. I added it to the list to keep the ten-year intervals.

-- Roberto