Am Do., 30. Jan. 2020 um 16:14 Uhr schrieb Pierpaolo Bernardi
<olopierpa@gmail.com>:

> Il giorno 30 gennaio 2020, alle ore 15:50, Matthias Kluwe <mkluwe@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> >Hi!

> >> 1970: PL/I will be the language to rule them all.
> >>
> >> 1980: Ada will be the language to rule them all.
> >>
> >> (1990: C++ will be the language to rule them all.)
> >>
> >> 2000: Java will be the language to rule them all.
> >>
> >> 2010: JavaScript will be the language to rule them all.
> >>
> >> 2020: Python will be the language to rule them all.
> >>
> >> The dogs bark, the caravan marches on.
>
> >Very nice. But I didn't get the C++ statement being parenthesized.
>
> Because that is a joke. Of course nobody ever really thought that about C++.

Well, I suspected that, too. On the other hand: Did someone think
their most beloved programming language was the one to rule them all?
I mean, *really*? For me, the phrase "to rule them all" has a
connotation of failure.

When I learned Java later on in 1998 it was well hyped as anything
could be hyped in these early years of the web, but to me it looked
like ... yuck.

> Did they?

Can't say. I was too young in 1990.

Anyway, I'm doing a fairly large quantity in "modernish" C++ these
days, and I think the language has evolved pretty well in the last 20
years. I assume that there really was no reason to believe C++ would
rule anything.

Regards,
Matthias