On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM Scott Morgan <blumf@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> The thread on getting script paths made me think of something that'd be
> useful, but is possibly hard to do and certainly shouldn't be within the
> standard distro: Tab completion for file functions.
>
> e.g. you're in a REPL Lua interface and you do something like:
>
>  > f = io.open("c:\exa<tab>
>  > f = io.open("c:\example\
>
> Same for any of the functions that take file paths.
>
> Has anybody done this? How?
>
> Scott

On Linux at least, this is provided by Mike Pall's "advanced readline
support" patch in Lua Power Patches
(http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaPowerPatches). It's one of the patches I
generally use when I recompile Lua, along with Dirk Laurie's "preload
libraries with customized global names" patch. I never figured out how
to get it to work in Windows, though.

— Gabriel