>>From Sean Conner:
>   no file '/home/spc/.luarocks/share/lua/5.3/package:gopher/icon.lua'
>   [etc]
> This doesn't work because package.searchpath() isn't exactly what you want
> (read it closely).

Hmm, odd. It looks like your Lua is replacing the "." with the
directory separator, but it should be replacing the ":" instead.
What release of Lua are you running?

> My mistake---there was a bug in the code [1] that didn't properly replace
> the dots in the module name with directory separators.
> It's all done in straight Lua.

Wait... do you mean you are monkey-patching package.searchpath
(as opposed to 'require' or package.searchers)?
Can I ask why, or would that be a spoiler?