On 05/01/2020 23:00, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jan 2020 at 21:51, Lorenzo Donati
<lorenzodonatibz@tiscali.it> wrote:

OTOH the lack of such batteries greatly hamper the diffusion of Lua
as a general purpose language.

Well Python is arguably a better general purpose language and has a
very powerful set of libraries.

Sorry, but I agree to a point:

Python /is/ a better GPL, but /because of its libraries/.

Strip it of its library and what remains is slow, bloated and the
language itself is far less readable and elegant than Lua (at least that
was the state of it, IMO, some years ago when I learned it).

But I admit I haven't stayed up to date and I haven't used it for years,
so maybe it has improved as a language in latest years.

Why does the world need another one?

Well you seem to imply that Python is the ultimate best GPL and there is no space for innovation.

Moreover you also imply Lua is /not/ a GPL, but this is not what Lua authors think (at least that was my impression from what they've been saying for years. If they changed their mind recently, I cannot tell, since I don't follow this list /so/ closely nowadays).

FWIW, I argue that if Lua had the same libraries of Python, with their same standardization and continuous care, Lua would be a FAR better GPL.

IMO, (non-extreme) minimalism in the core language is good for a GPL. It is not good in the libraries, though.

Moreover, but this is a knee-jerk reflex of mine, I hate semantically meaningful spaces in a language. I /do/ like explicit code blocks (pun intended :-)

Regards

Cheers!