I’ll dodge the question and throw a parse error if it’s compound-assigning to a list. I still need to add that to the patch..

Yeah, for all my enthusiasm for the other possibilities, I think that probably is the wisest course.  Compound assignment is a shorthand that really doesn't work that well with assignment lists.

Many thanks for your feedback, and thank you for that patch in the first place! Every time I have to use Lua without it I lose a bit more hair (and I don’t have much left). :)

Glad to see the code used by other people -- as I recall, getting the register handling right took some effort -- and from my reading (but not testing) of the patches you've been posting, that part of the logic still survives in your more modern incarnation.

Are you planning to update the Lua Power Patches wiki page?

-Sven