LuaJIT is pretty much the holy grail for lua. A lot of big libraries rely heavily on it, like openresty, moonscript, love. Likely because it is super fast and light on resources.

The best way to make sure all our big tooling follow lua syntax updates is literally to make lua the fastest interpreted language, so it can became a solid enterprise choice, which means support from big companies.

Or you can hunt down yo uh r necessities specifically.