 I personally would not mind if you could just use unicode variable names but then a lot of punctuation would visually look similar to things like quotes. The best implementation of unicode I've seen in a programming language is in raku (formerly perl 6), but they use the unicode databases so that codepoints can be classified along with lots of other stuff, it's definitely /not/ trivial to implement. I think the unicode handling would be bigger than the language itself! (if we include the libraries / databases)