Sorry to extend this blog, although no answer yet.

Maybe I should ask more in detail, not so general.

I have the impression, that this int _ in the TValue struct uses only < 8
bit of the 32 bits. So the uper 24bits (I need only the upper 16 bits) are
out of use currently.

Is this correct, or is there any hidden usage of these 16 upper bits in
LUA_32BITS? (In LUA_64BITS it would concern the upper 56 bits of _tt ... but
currently please let's concentrate on LUA_32BITS ... I am currently only
interested in this, and my main headache are date numbers with second
resolution... I just need some bits more for them, and as they appear quite
often I would not like to define a metatable for them ...).

--
Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html