13.06.2019, 07:38, "Sean Conner" <sean@conman.org>:
>   I'm subscribed to a mailing list devoted to classic computers [1], and
> *they* gave up on trying to enforce non-HTML emails (and top posting, and
> ... ). Sadly, it's a lost cause.

not really.
in the case of top posting enlightening the author why to avoid that
can be helpful.

in the case of html formating there exist technical solutions aswell,
like rejecting such messages to forcibly educate such users a bit.
this can be achieved with the mailing list software, i found that
in "sympa" and/or at groups.io (don't remember exactly which one)
this is possible. i am sure this can be achieved with "mailman" too.

> Nothing worse than to receive an email with ONLY HTML,

indeed, totally agreed.
i forgot to mention that really ANNOYING case. :-(((

> which in my case, means I shell out to Lynx to read the email.

i still try to read such garbage with with the normal pager, since
luckily HTML is not a binary format and sometimes it is possible to
locate and follow the contained message, of course tons of CSS
(crazy!!! CSS in a message)
and similar garbage is not helpful when doing so ... :-/

when replying to such messages mutt retains the html garbage.
i intentionally do not remove that in the reply to give the recipients
the chance to reflect their message formating in further mails.

> Good luck on your crusade.

thanks. :-/