>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> writes:

 Andrew> So I'm guessing that the warning system was added primarily to
 Andrew> have a way to report errors in GC rather than throwing them out
 Andrew> to a random caller,

Ugh, and I've just realized that this is ANOTHER thing that breaks my
error handling, because it means that if, for example, closing a
database cursor (in its __gc method) causes an error, that error will be
caught in the GC and not propagated, and there's no way out.

I understand that handling errors in GC is tricky, but having a place
where errors are caught and then ignored is a complete showstopper in an
environment where errors MUST be propagated up to a point where they can
be safely handled (and no, this can't be done inside the __gc method
itself).

--
Andrew.